The restaurant, specializing in authentic Central Mexican cuisine, relocated to new locale after 18 years at San Francisco’s Union Square.
Susan C. Schena, Patch Staff, Posted Tue, May 10, 2022 at 1:08 pm, photo credits Josh Sanchez
Colibri Mexican Bistro moved from SF Union Square to the Presidio Officers Club, 50 Moraga Ave., San Francisco, CA.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — After 18 years in San Francisco’s Union Square, Colibri Mexican Bistro is reviving its authentic Mexican cuisine at the restaurant’s new home at the Presidio Officers Club in San Francisco.
The May 1 opening at the historic site, with indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin horizon,was led by restaurateur and proprietor, Eduardo Rallo.
“With over 50% of Colibri’s previous team returning to the new Presidio space, this reopening is bringing all of the best qualities from Colibri’s past back to life, with a few added improvements, such as an incredible outside dining experience,”Rallo said. “Everything will feel like grandma just made it for you.”
Colibri closed in 2020 at Union Square, after learning the city was buying Hotel Diva — the restaurant’s building — to transform it into permanent supportive housing for the homeless, according to SFist.
The new Colibri site moved into the former Arguello space, a restaurant from Chef Traci Des Jardins, that closed during the pandemic, the publication said.
The 200+-year-old site is where Spanish colonists established its military presence in 1776, with the building and land considered among the most significant historic sites in the U.S., having served as living quarters for Spanish and Mexican soldiers, barracks for the U.S Army, a mess room, kitchen, laundresses’ quarters, assembly hall, ballroom, restaurant, bar and exhibition hall, according to management.
The relocated Colibri Mexican Bistro is open weekdays 11:30 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fridays to Sundays, including weekend brunch, 10:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. at 50 Moraga Ave., San Francisco.
Menu highlights from the restaurant include:
- Pozole Verde: chicken and hominy soup, Sinaloa-style with jalapeño chile, tomatillo & spices;
- Chilaquiles Verdes o Rojos: handmade corn tortilla chips with verde tomatillo-jalapeño chile sauce or roja tomato-chipotle sauce, shredded chicken, onions, sour cream, cheese & two, over-easy eggs;
- Mole Poblano: Puebla-style spices, chiles, nuts & chocolate sauce served over chicken;
- Quesabrirrias: Braised short rib wtih corn tortilla & more;
- Tlayuda Vegetariana: Oaxacan tortilla tlayuda with black beans, queso fresco, cabbage, mushroom, cactus, avocado & tomato.
Colibri’s lead bartender, Viridiana Gallardo, has crafted such drinks for the Mexican-influenced menu as:
- Calavera: Avion Blanco Tequila, Briotett de Framboise, lemonade, Aperol, gold flakes;
- Oaxaca: Dos Hombres Mezcal, Angostura & Creole bitters, dehydrated orange;
- La Chalupa: Espolon Blanco, lime juice, simple syrup, Hibiscus Aqua fresca, wild hibiscus;
- Toro de Valencia: 21 Seeds Valencia Orange Tequila, lime juice, prickly pear, sea salt & mint.
Read Full Article: https://patch.com/california/san-francisco/colibri-mexican-bistro-running-presidio-officers-club-sf